Utah Heavy Athletics Officers and Board may amend these terms and conditions as they deem necessary. By registering for, participating in, volunteering at, or attending any of our events, you accept the following terms and conditions.
This agreement is entered into between the participant (“Participant”) and UTAH HEAVY ATHLETICS, its owners, managers, affiliates, subsidiaries, employees and beneficiaries (“UHA”). The purpose of this agreement is to facilitate participation in the Scottish Highland Games and/or Strongman/Strongwoman Competition (“Event”) in a safe and fair manner. Participant enters into this Release of Liability and agreement of his/her own free will and without compulsion.
Participant affirms the following:
1. I am 18 years or older. For youth under 18 years, as the Participant's guardian, I certify that I give consent for the Participant to engage in the Event, and agree to all terms and conditions in their behalf.
2. I am physically fit and capable of participating in the Event.
3. I have provided my own equipment customary for participating in the Event and have inspected it to make sure it is in good working order.
4. I am competent and mentally fit to handle, possess, and use the implements/equipment and I am not aware of any condition that would prevent me from handling them safely.
5. I will comply with all directions and guidance given before, during and after the Event.
6. I am responsible for my own acts, including but not limited to carelessness, ignorance, negligence, willful and wanton conduct, gross negligence and strict liability offenses both in tort and criminal actions.
7. For female athletes, I represent that I am not pregnant. If I am pregnant, I have obtained approval from my doctor to engage in the Event.
8. I am not aware of any medical condition that would impede my ability to participate safely. If I do have a medical condition, I have obtained approval from my doctor to engage in the Event.
9. I agree to hold harmless, release and abstain from bringing suit against UHA, its officers, organizers, volunteers, staff, and athletic director, for unforeseen (force majeure) events, acts of God, accidents, ignorance or carelessness at the Event. I assume liability for my own acts that deviate from the standard of care.
10. I release UHA, licensees, and successors from any claims that may arise regarding the use of my image, including any claims of defamation, invasion of privacy, or infringement of moral rights, rights of publicity, or copyright. UHA is permitted, although not obligated, to include my name as a credit in connection with the image.
11. I realize that Classes and Divisions might need to be combined from time to time, and that the activities within a UHA Event may vary and can be changed at the discretion of the athletic director or UHA organizers.
12. For Highland Games athletes: I acknowledge that UHA may require that I take a test for Performance Enhancing Drugs (PEDs) at their discretion at any time. I understand that a failed drug test may result in a lifetime ban from UHA Events and that if I opt out of the required drug test, UHA may institute a ban for a timeframe to be determined at UHA’s discretion. A failed test at any time, or opting out of a test for PEDs shall result in any State Records that I have obtained to be expunged.
13. I also accept the following terms regarding State Records for Highland Games Events:
Throwing Records for Utah Residents (State Records) shall have a verification process which includes:
1) the athlete must meet Classification requirements prior to the competition, specifically
a) weight restrictions for lightweight divisions (the athlete must weigh 200lbs or under for lightweight men, and 150lbs or under for lightweight women)
b) age restrictions for Masters classes (the athlete shall present a government issued ID showing their age).
c) gender restrictions (UHA defers to State and Federal laws and therefore the athlete shall present a government issued ID showing their gender).
2) the measurement shall be verified by the head judge or a second judge, or Athletic Director. (Excessive sloping of the throwing field is also to be taken into consideration by the judges, AD, and UHA).
3) verification of the implement weight by the Athletic Director or Equipment Manager.
4) proof of Utah residency (government ID, utility bill, etc)
5) passing a drug test for Performance Enhancing Drugs which shall be administered by a 3rd party within 7 days from you receiving instructions from UHA for the test. Timeframes for the test may be extended at UHA’s discretion for travelling athletes. Failure of this test will result in a lifetime ban from UHA Events, and opting out of this test will result in, at minimum, a 2-year ban from UHA events, or longer should that be decision of the UHA Board.
Individual Athletic Directors of competitions that are not put on by UHA will always have the right to enforce a ban based on a failed test or an athlete opting out of testing as they see fit. Shall any of these requirements not be met, the previous record shall stand. The records keeper shall catalogue, maintain, and update these records, as well as make them available to UHA members. UHA will reimburse all parties for costs of the verification process.